VA Loan Approval Guidelines
All things being equal, for those who meet California VA Qualifications, the VA Loan will usually be a better choice than either FHA or Conventional loan financing. This is especially true for those with less than 20% for a down payment.
Past perceptions are that a VA Loan is more difficult to get than other financing, but when you work with a VA Loan Specialist, it’s no more difficult—and sometimes easier—than getting other types of home loans.
Fortunately, our team at WealthWise Mortgage Planning specialize in California VA Loans. We can explain all the California VA Requirements and make it all really easy to understand.
There is so much to know about California VA Guidelines—more than we can completely list here—but for active-duty or military veterans, there’s just a few basic California VA Loan Requirements needed to get your started down the path towards VA Loan qualification.
The basic California VA Requirements are as follows:
- Served 90 days or more of active duty during war time
- Served 181 days or more of active duty during peace time
- No dishonorable discharge
- Statement of Service from commanding officer to apply for your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)*
- Form DD214 officer to apply for your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)*
- Spent 90 days in a combat zone or
- Served a minimum 6 years service in any of the following:
- Army National Guard
- Army Reserve
- Air National Guard
- Coast Guard Reserve
- Navy Reserve
- Marine Corps Reserve
- Air Force Reserve
Spouse of Active Duty or Veteran
- Un-remarried and serving spouse died while in service or from service-connected disability
- Serving spouse was MIA or POW
We recognize that not all military service is created equal and that everyone’s service is a little different. If you don’t fit neatly into the above criteria, don’t assume you don’t meet the California VA Qualifications. Check with us anyway. Because, “…the answer’s always ‘no’ if you don’t ask.”
*While you can apply directly to the VA for your COE, like so many things in the military, it’s, “hurry up and wait” and could take a couple of weeks to get. At WealthWise Mortgage Planning, we have a direct, electronic connection to the VA and can get your COE for you in a matter of minutes, in most cases.